Steinmans Trial Lawyers is an award winning, well-established litigation boutique law firm in Downtown Vancouver.
Our practice includes civil litigation, commercial litigation, estate litigation, insurance defence and employment law.
Our clients range from individuals to multinational corporations, and we have received the highest possible rating on peer reviewed site, Martindale-Hubbell.
We deliberately have minimal hierarchy, and we value input regardless of role, legal experience or background, or tenure.
This job is perfect for an accomplished legal assistant with a desire to learn from and work with lawyers who relish their role as counsel.
Important note: The incumbent to this position is with the firm until January 31, 2023. She is highly respected and trusted and will be aiding with the interviewing, hiring and handover to ensure highest possible success. This position will ideally have approximately one week of overlap to provide for direct training, mentoring and side by side teaching by the incumbent.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant experience working in a law office in the same position, plus diploma from a recognized institution for a legal administrative assistant course;
- A thorough understanding of litigation law legal procedures, pre-trial tasks such as notifying and/or subpoenaing witnesses, preparing witnesses, identifying trial exhibits, and preparing trial books;
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Word, Adobe, and PC Law. Experience using Clio is an asset, but not necessary;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, including thinking a few steps ahead and prioritizing assignments when necessary;
- Superior organizational/document management skills with a strong attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to relate to people in a variety of situations and work collaboratively in a team environment;
- Highly trustworthy and discreet, and demonstrates use of good judgment;
- Experience with Document Management Software such as Summation, iPro, Reveal or Relativity would be an asset, but is not necessary.
- Transcribing dictation and drafting legal correspondence;
- Drafting pleadings, including lists of documents, while ensuring compliance with rules of court;
- Compiling and maintaining organized, efficient, and up to date pleadings and list of document binders;
- Working with third party service providers to ensure documents are filed and served in a timely manner;
- Organizing and managing files, documents and exhibits in paper and electronic filing systems;
- Communicating regularly with clients, experts, medical professionals, court personnel and other counsel;
- Meticulously reviewing and editing invoices to clients;
- Meeting with lawyers to talk about case details;
- Conducting conflict checks, scheduling appointments, organizing conference calls, travel arrangements, independent medical examinations, and registering lawyers for CLE courses;
- Sharing responsibility for filing, sending/receiving mail for multiple law offices working out of shared space, opening and closing files and processing credit card and other payments while following strict client identification and verification procedures;
- Transcribing witness interviews;
- Maintaining a well-organized work environment, including implementing efficient processes that minimize lawyers’ administrative load and ensures ease of reference to firm’s documents;
- Managing limitations per the Limitation Act and Supreme Court Civil Rules, including maintaining a BF system;
- Ensuring office supplies are purchased in a timely and responsible way;
- Some office management duties, such as product research, to assist the firm with technology purchases, and liaising with service providers regarding I.T. issues, and for website hosting and content;
- Some human resources duties, such as managing intake for student lawyers and preparing necessary forms for Law Society Admission Program and PLTC enrolment, within deadlines;
- Attending at various banks to deposit cheques and/or withdraw petty cash;
Salary: $40,000- $56,000. Commensurate with experience.
Hours: 40 per week, in-person
Expected Start Date: January 20, 2023.
Steinmans is proud to be a diverse and inclusive company. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities.
How To Apply:
Email email@example.com with the subject line “Legal Assistant Job Opening” and include your resume and cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, we will contact you should we wish to move forward.