Steinmans Trial Lawyers is an award winning, well-established boutique law firm that prides itself on protecting families for over 25 years.
Our staff members typically have long tenures, so when we hire, we look for the very best people. This is exemplified by, and leads to, our longevity with clients and our top-level ranking and rating from peers and partners on Martindale.com.
Our offices have minimal hierarchy, we value input regardless of tenure or role, and we encourage professional development.
If hired in the expected time frame, this position will have one week of overlap, and as such, direct training, mentoring, and side by side teaching by the incumbent.
- Minimum 3-4 years of relevant experience working in a law office in the same position.
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment, including thinking a few steps ahead.
- Critical thinking skills, a high level of initiative, and a proactive approach to problem solving.
- Ability to handle pressure and deadlines, as well as work late if need be and asked in time sensitive matters.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Proven ability to prioritize multiple assignments and produce quality accurate work.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must possess excellent organizational skills to manage voluminous, long term files and exhibits.
- Ability to work collaboratively and support a team environment.
- Superior organizational/document management skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Adobe, PC Law, BC Online and Word. Experience using Clio is an asset, but not necessary.
- A thorough understanding of litigation law legal procedures including experience in the Court of Appeal.
- Ability to relate to people in a variety of situations, highly trustworthy and discreet, and demonstrates use of good judgment.
- Drafting legal correspondence.
- Drafting pleadings including lists of documents, applications, affidavits, release agreements, mediation summaries, books of authority, bills of costs, and trial briefs, ensuring compliance with rules of court. File pleadings with court.
- Analyzing files to ensure relevant records and documents are obtained, and review records and documents for relevancy and privilege.
- Communicating with medical professionals to obtain copies of clinical records. Perform clinical record reviews and prepare reporting memorandums.
- Organizing and managing files, documents and exhibits in paper and electronic filing system.
- Meeting with clients, lawyers, and other professionals to talk about case details.
- Coordinates and performs tasks for the lawyers including conducting conflict checks, scheduling appointments, corresponding with clients, organizing conference calls, registration for CLE courses.
- Handles administrative tasks such as filings, maintain BF system, answer telephone calls, and maintain and organize client files.
- Handles scheduling of firm calendar including examinations for discovery, independent medical examinations, mediations and travel arrangements as necessary
- Investigate the facts of a case by interviewing clients and witnesses
- Assisting with trial preparation
- Search public records and other resources to prepare cases and determine causes of action
- Interact regularly with clients, experts, court personnel and other counsel
- Maintaining a well-organized work environment and implement efficient processes that minimizes lawyers’ administrative load and ensures ease of reference to firm’s documents;
- Managing limitations per the Limitation Act and Supreme Court Civil Rules
- Assisting with pre-trial tasks such as notifying and/or subpoenaing witnesses, preparing witnesses and identifying trial exhibits, and preparing trial books
- Instructing Legal Assistants on non-billable tasks
- Maintaining organized, efficient, and up to date pleadings and list of document binders
How To Apply:
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, we will contact you should we move forward.
Steinmans’ team members are required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding a respectful workplace and treating everyone in and out of our offices with grace and respect.
To apply for this position, email: email@example.com with the subject line Legal Assistant Job Opening.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and competitive to relevant industries.
Steinmans is proud to be a diverse and inclusive company. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities.