Motor Vehicle Litigation

Who you hire as your lawyer matters. When you interview a potential lawyer in the Lower Mainland or Northern British Columbia ask him or her, how many trials they have done. Some lawyers prefer to settle everything out-of-court. Hiring someone who rarely goes to court could hurt your chances of obtaining a fair settlement.

We go to court. Our opponents know it. So does ICBC.

It is always best to deal with ICBC through a lawyer. Early on, after you report the claim to ICBC, ICBC appoints an adjuster or claims examiner to try to settle the case with you. But ICBC is not looking out for your legal rights. You need someone to do that for you.

ICBC records what you say to them, so be careful. You should tell the truth – that goes without saying. You may not know all the types of compensation to which you are entitled. You may say or forget to say something that ICBC will later use against you. This is especially so in a case of a concussion, head or brain injury, where memory and other brain functions are impaired.

Injured persons are entitled to pain & suffering compensation and other types of damages. Past loss of earnings and future loss of earning capacity are two of the most important parts of an injured person’s case. We excel at explaining how an injury hurts a person’s income, how an injury affects someone at work.

If you are a business owner or a professional who has been injured in a vehicle accident in the Lower Mainland, Burnaby, the Cariboo Chilcotin Coast or elsewhere in the province, we can help you to obtain a fair settlement. We are also business lawyers, skilled in business litigation. That experience helps you to obtain the compensation you deserve.

We have office days in Northern British Columbia, and can meet you close to where you live to discuss your case.

There are steps you must take after a motor vehicle accident (MVA):

  • notify ICBC of the MVA – Call Dial-a-Claim 1-800-910-4222 or 604 520-8222;
  • within 30 days of the MVA, give a statement to ICBC about the MVA, your injuries and lost earnings;
  • within 90 days of the MVA, apply for accident benefits (fill out the CL-22 form).

We have acted on all the following types of cases:

  • Truck accidents
  • Trailer accidents
  • Bicycle accidents
  • Pedestrian accidents
  • Car accidents
  • Accidents with impaired drivers
  • Fatal accidents